Wednesday 4 February 2009

Paper Pomos!

Finally just finished the nets and their presentation.

Front:

Back:

Our brief was to create something which advertised a dying language and culture, and what i've produced is a paper model worksheet. The work is aimed at Primary/Elementary school children in years 5 and 6 (ages 9-11).

The front shows the net and some illustrations I made from a group of photos I found, observing the Pomoan people. I've made some artistic judgements mainly with colour but I like the accessibility they provide to the piece. At first I was really stuck on how to work cultural and lingual information onto the page but found a solution in the tabs that hold the model together. I found some basic language vocabulary online, and have placed the English on one tab, and the Pomo on the other corresponding tab, with the intention that as the kids put the model together they match up the words and take in the information.

More subliminal education is on the other side, where the back of the net contains lots of cultural facts that can be associated with the pictures on the front.

Artwork was initially drawn and then brought into Photoshop and Illustrator for cleaning and colouring.


Sorry the pictures are a bit illegible unless seen in the higher resolution.

Now I just have to put together the presentation to show the rest of my course on Monday morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment